Prevalence & Symptoms of Diabetes


The prevalence of diabetes in the UK, as well as many other countries, is rising and as of January 2016 it was reported tthat there are now over 4 million people living in the UK with the condition (8).

Just over half a million of these are thought to be undiagnosed Type 2 diabetes, which means they will not be receiving the treatment or the monitoring they need to reduce the risk of complications.

Type 2 diabetes is by far the most common type of diabetes, accounting for around 90% of cases, and the remaining 10% being Type 1 diabetes.


There are a few key symptoms that are often experienced in people with diabetes. Whilst symptoms tend to develop more quickly in Type 1 diabetes, people with Type 2 diabetes may go for several years before they are diagnosed due to such a gradual onset of symptoms.

  • Polydypsia (excess thirst)
  • Polyuria (excess urination)
  • Fatigue
  • Weight loss (may not be as common/ noticeable in people with type 2 diabetes)
  • Delayed wound healing
  • Infections
  • Thrush/ genital itching
  • Blurred vision